Thursday, May 9, 2013

Illa de l'Aire

Yestarday afternoon I arrived in Menorca. Emili, one member of SOM (Ornithological Society of Menorca), was waiting for me at the airport.

This morning, Emili has taken me with Xavi and Joan, in a constant effort ringing station. Although no more than ten birds during firsts rounds, I have enjoyed a lot a couple of 'Balearic' Woodchat Shrikes (Lanius senator badius).

At 10 o'clock I was already in Illa de l'Aire, a small island in south Menorca that is a really important place for birds that are crossing the sea. I'll be ringing in a ringing campaign here, that has been carried out for more than 21 years. There, I met Raül Escandell, J.J. Carreras and Santi Catchot, and also a big fish trapped this morning (not in the nets!!), that we've eaten for lunch.

Today we have ringed 120 birds, specially Willow Warblers (Phylloscopus trochilus), the commonest bird here. I have really enjoyed a Balearic Spotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata balearica) that has been trapped in the first round.

Be here is a great experience. I really reccomend everybody interested to visit this fantastic place for migration. You can follow this blog to see some interesting things about the island and migration.


No comments:

Post a Comment