Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ringing weekend

Spring has already arrived and I've seen my first Swallows (Delichon, Hirundo and Cecropis), Little Ringed Plovers (Charadrius dubius), Short-toed Snake Eagles (Circaetus gallicus)... and a really early Whinchat (Saxicola rubetra), a migrant that usually arrives during the first week of April.

Last weekend almost started on Friday morning, when I trapped this male Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos). It was an adult (EURING 6).


That afternoon, Joan and Bernat helped me in the last Yellowhammer's (Emberiza citrinella) ringing afternoon. I didn't expect to catch any bird, but we finally trapped 3! (and there were at least 9 around)


On Saturday morning I did a quick visit to Llobregat Delta, where this male Common Pochard (Aythya ferina) was showing off about his bill, sky-blue 'F=S'.


But the good ringing was on Sunday. I went to l'Aiguamoll de la Sala in order to try to catch some Reed Buntings (Emberiza schoeniclus) coming to the roosting. It was a nice surprise when we trapped this handsome Bluethroat (Luscinia svecica)!

2nd-year (EURING 5). Two outermost GCs are retained.
That afternoon I also trapped a Stonechat (Saxicola rubicola), some Zitting Cisticolas (Cisticola juncidis), Corn Buntings (Emberiza calandra), collybitas, schoeniclus and other usual stuff.

On Monday morning I came back to that place to catch more 'March-migrants'. I felt really lucky in the first netround when I saw a Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) hanging in one net in the Llobregat river.


As interesting birds, I also caught a Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea), two Kingfishers (Alcedo atthis), a thirsty Cirl Bunting (Emberiza cirlus) and a nice male Penduline Tit (Remiz pendulinus)!

'Flappy' Grey Wagtail
Adult male Kingfisher
2nd-year (EURING 5) female Cirl Bunting
Adult (EURING 6) Penduline Tit
I really want to feel migration soon... Let's see what kind of surprises is this spring keeping for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment