Monday, November 4, 2013

Castanyada

1st November is always a good moment for chestnuts. Although Halloween is the most popular celebration during these days, in Catalonia we celebrate La Castanyada, that means something like 'the chestnut party'. Traditionally, we eat chestnuts and sweet potatoes... Actually, this tradition is being moved by Halloween, specially between children, but we have to keep this fest.

It's also a typical date for Redwings (Turdus iliacus) migrating. Last weekend I heard my first for the season, and last Friday I heard the second. It's also the moment for Crane (Grus grus) flocks and some other stuff, but by that moment the weather has been a bit boring here. I'll be waiting for strong winds and some rain, maybe this will be a nice turning point in the autumn. Look what happened last year in 28th October!
Full moon, good migration night.
I'm still doing some ringing when I have a bit of time, and still catching some Chiffchaffs (Phylloscopus collybita). This bird with wing 64 shocked me. It was an adult, but nothing was more exciting than the relatively long wing...
P2 between P7 and P8...
Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus) and Black Redstarts (Phoenicurus ochruros) had already arrived in my local patch. I trapped one cirlus and two ochruros last Friday, and I hope I can get some more the following days. I'm also waiting for the first Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus), that is already a common bird but is still skiping the nets.
 
1st-year malem with the outermost GC retained.
Next days are forecast as really windy days, so I hope some good birds will arrive with them...
In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy these nice autumn sunrises...

No comments:

Post a Comment